Gather up your tools, and don’t worry; these simple tasks should take less than an hour:
1. Improve refrigerator efficiency. Clean refrigerator condenser coils with a condenser cleaning brush and your vacuum cleaner to clear dust and lint off the coils underneath (or behind) your self-defrosting refrigerator. RepairClinic.com recommends using a condenser cleaning brush to make this job easier.
2. Keep your garbage disposer smelling fresh and running smoothly. Clean and deodorize it with a special garbage disposer cleaning agent.
3. Help keep your dryer free of lint; prevent dryer lint fires and reduce drying time for your clothes. Clear your dryer exhaust vent with a dryer vent brush -- a flexible brush that can reach around corners and dislodge lint trapped in the vent.
4. Prevent washing machine floods. Inspect the water fill hoses to your washing machine and replace them if you see blisters, cracks, or if the hoses are more than five years old. Consider upgrading to hoses with metal sheathing; they are much less likely to burst.
5. Keep water and ice cubes tasting fresh and clean. Change your refrigerator or ice maker water filters. While you're at it, clean the lime, scale and soap scum buildup inside your dishwasher using a special detergent that also removes discoloration due to iron and other water impurities.
Caution: To avoid personal injury or even death, always disconnect your appliance from its power source. Either unplug it or break the connection at the circuit breaker or fuse box-before you do any troubleshooting or repair work. If your appliance uses gas, turn off the gas supply to the appliance. If your appliance has a water supply line or lines, turn off the water supply to the appliance. Also, because some components may have sharp edges, use caution while working on appliances.
Founded in Canton, Michigan, in 1999, RepairClinic.com® is the most comprehensive online resource for do-it-yourself home appliance repair help, including online appliance parts sales and detailed appliance repair information. The site features more than 80 appliance brands—including Kenmore, Whirlpool, Maytag, GE, Frigidaire, and LG—across 16 appliance types (e.g., washers, dryers, refrigerators, stoves, ovens, and dishwashers). Do-it-yourselfers use the helpful database, PartDetective®, to find the part they need or the leading-edge service, RepairGuru®, for free, customized repair help. Appliance parts are stocked in a 72,000 sq. ft. facility and shipped the same business day. Visit www.RepairClinic.com for more information.