Cranking up the AC in your home? Portable fans working overtime?
Yes, the same thing is happening in our homes, too!
Here are 10 easy things you can do to reduce energy consumption, get more comfortable and lower your cooling bill.
1. Switch off the lights. Lights and lamps, no matter the size, generate heat. Keep on only those you really need.
2. Consider alternative ways to prepare meals such as your outdoor grill. Why? Ovens generate heat, too.
3. Plant trees in your yard. The new shade could make a considerable difference in your home’s overall temperature.
4. Wear warm-weather clothes inside of your home. This will enable you to increase your home’s temperature by a few degrees without notice.
5. Give your AC some TLC. If you have a window AC, clean its air filter. A dirty, clogged filter makes means your AC must work harder. It can also lead to costly repairs. If you have a central air conditioning system, clean it before and after the cooling season. Wash out leaves, grass, dirt and other debris from between the coils.
Air conditioner broken? RepairClinic has replacement parts for window and through-wall (a.k.a. through-the-wall or thru-wall) air conditioners as well as central air conditioning systems. With your air conditioner’s model number ready, head to RepairClinic.com.
6. Check out the caulking and/or weatherstripping around windows. Repair as needed.
7. Use only a ceiling fan at night. As evening arrives and temperatures fall, you may only need a fan serving one room to stay comfortable.
8. Close the drapes and shades. Yes, this really can reduce room temperature by a few degrees, especially in sunny areas.
9. Hang out on the lowest floor of your home. Remember that heat rises so spending more time in the coolest part of your home may take a needed load off your cooling system.
10. If you’re out of your home for a day or a longer period, leave a reminder note to adjust your home’s thermostat to a slightly higher temperature before you leave.
- In the market for a portable generator? Check out these tips from Ryan Huntley, a RepairClinic.com staff appliance specialist, about how to find the right portable generator for you.
- Eight tips for getting your central air conditioning system ready for summer
- 19 simple ways to reduce energy consumption and save money this summer
- Six simple ways to get your window or through-the-wall air conditioner ready for summer
Anything else you’d add to this list? Please share in the comments below! We love comments.
Please share this! Click on the social media links to the left.