Easy DIY Appliance Fixes Anyone Can Do
Oftentimes, when you hear about appliance repairs it’s usually something that sounds complicated, like replacing a thermal fuse in your dryer or bake element in your oven. That’s not what this article is about. We wanted to inspire you to do some simple appliance quick fixes to save you money and help your appliance run more efficiently. Here they are:
- Range Vent Hood – How often do you look up when you cook? We suggest you look up and see if your range vent hood is dirty. It’s easy to wash the metal-mesh hood filters either by hand or in the dishwasher. A good general cleaner can help with this. Any charcoal filters should be replaced once every year or so, depending on use.
- Stovetop – Tired of your worn out stovetop? Did you know you can replace the burner grates on a gas stove as well as the coil surface elements and burner drip bowls on an electric one? You’d be surprised what a difference just replacing these few items can do to improve the appearance of your stove. If you’d rather be frugal, you can also get a grate cleaner or cooktop cleaner to get them looking like new again.
- Oven – Oven door seals show wear and damage with time. And without a good seal, your oven can lose about 20% of its heat. So, open up the oven door and examine the seal. If you find any cracks or broken sections, it’s time to replace the door seal.
- Refrigerator – As with your oven, your refrigerator’s seal/gasket can get worn and damaged. Check and see if it needs replacing. There are a few other items you can update inside your refrigerator: its drawers, shelves and the all-important light bulb.
- Dishwasher – Dishwasher tines can get rusty and beat up looking over the years, but are pretty straightforward to replace. Plus, new tines are kinder to your dishes! You can also replace your dishwasher’s: dishrack, silverware basket and detergent dispenser, easily and affordably.
- Dryer – The one main favor you can do for you and your dyer is to keep the venting clear of lint. Clean it out once a year, all you need is a special cleaning brush to easily remove any lint buildup in the tube. And if your dryer is rocking when it’s on, that’s a sure sign it’s not level. You may need to replace the leveling legs or add leveling leg pads to get a smoother cycle. We recommend replacing all at once for the best results.
Repair Clinic has millions of appliance parts available for same-day shipping and we offer a 365 return policy guarantee. Call 800-269-2609 if you need help placing an order today.