Refrigerator Care Dos and Don’ts
The refrigerator … We use it every day but often don’t give it a second thought unless it breaks down. To help save your fridge and the hundreds of dollars in food it stores, Repair Clinic shows you how to, and not to, take care of it.
- Do clean your condenser coils – twice a year if you can. Dirt and grime can build up on the coils, forcing your fridge to work harder and run more often. A special long-handled brush or vacuum attachment can make this easier to accomplish.
- Do give your fridge space. If possible, you should leave several inches of space on the top, sides and back to give the heat it expels room to escape.
- Do let food cool down before storing it in the refrigerator. Putting hot leftovers in the fridge can warm up other food stored nearby. Plus it increases the energy needed to cool it all down.
- Do replace the water filter on your fridge every six months or so with a genuine water filter.
- Don’t ignore your gasket/door seal. The gasket is what keeps the warm air out and the cold air in. Periodically check it for wear and tears. Clean it periodically with a universal cleaner and replace the gasket if it’s damaged.
- Don’t overload shelves, bins or the door. Extra weight in these areas can cause excessive wear and could cause damage. If the damage is already done, you can get new bins, shelves or drawers to replace them.
- Don’t open the door too often. It pays to plan ahead before you open your fridge door. You let cold air escape every time you open it, so try retrieving a few things with each open to help save money and energy.
- Don’t let your fridge get smelly! Cleaning out old food every week can help with this. So can using a deodorizer that’s made specifically for refrigerators – they can be up to 50 times more effective than baking soda.
Taking good care of your refrigerator definitely pays off in the long run – a new one can cost hundreds to thousands of dollars. Don’t miss our Refrigerator Repair Help page if you’re having problems with your fridge. You can also click here for a useful refrigerator maintenance tips to walk you through everything you need to do to keep it running smoothly.
Repair Clinic has millions of refrigerator parts available for same-day shipping and we offer a 365 return policy guarantee. Call 800-269-2609 if you need help placing an order today.