• 1-800-269-2609
  • En Español
  • Available 7 days a week

Whirlpool Microwave Not Heating

MT4155SPB/4

The part(s) or condition(s) listed below for the symptom Microwave not heating are ordered from most likely to least likely to occur. Check or test each item, starting with the items at the top of the page.

Most Frequent Causes for Microwave not heating

Cause 1Diode

The diode converts the A/C power output of the transformer to D/C, doubling the voltage to nearly 5,000 volts. This high voltage powers the magnetron to heat the food. If the diode burns out, the magnetron won’t receive enough voltage to operate, preventing the microwave from heating. When the diode fails, it is often visibly burned out. Inspect the diode and if the diode is burned out, replace it. If inspecting the diode proves inconclusive, test it with a multimeter that uses a 9-volt battery or put a 9-volt battery in series with the diode. When the leads are reversed, the diode should only have continuity in one direction. (Warning: The microwave oven can store a lethal amount of electricity in its high voltage capacitor, even after the microwave oven has been unplugged. Due to the high running voltage and the potential for electric shock, it is extremely dangerous to replace the electronic components in a microwave. Only a licensed technician should replace the diode.)

Parts
Diode for your WhirlpoolMicrowave
Diode - Part # 1522339 Mfg Part # 6851W1A002E

Microwave diode assembly

Add to Cart
Cause 2Door Switch

Most microwaves have three or four door switches. When the microwave door closes, the door switches actuate in sequence to ensure that the door is closed properly. If any of the door switches fails, the microwave will not start or heat. To determine if any of the door switches are defective, use a multimeter to test each of the switches for continuity. If any of the door switches does not have continuity, replace it. (Caution: The microwave oven can store thousands of volts of electricity in its high voltage capacitor, even after the microwave oven has been unplugged. Due to the potential for electric shock, it is extremely dangerous to replace the electronic components in a microwave. Only a licensed technician should replace a door switch.)

Part Testing
Parts
Door Switch for your WhirlpoolMicrowave
Door Switch - Part # 1325771 Mfg Part # 3B73362F

Microwave door switch. This switch is normally open. When the microwave door is shut, the door switches close to send power to the microwave. If this switch fails, the microwave will not start.

Add to Cart
Cause 3Magnetron

The magnetron uses high voltage, high current DC power to generate the microwave frequency that cooks the food. If the magnetron burns out, the microwave won’t heat. The magnetron is not repairable—if the magnetron is burned out, you must replace it. (Warning: The microwave oven can store a lethal amount of electricity in its high voltage capacitor, even after the microwave oven has been unplugged. Due to the high running voltage and the potential for electric shock, it is extremely dangerous to replace the electronic components in a microwave. Only a licensed technician should replace the magnetron.)

Parts
Magnetron for your WhirlpoolMicrowave
Magnetron - Part # 1268208 Mfg Part # 6324W1A001L
Add to Cart
Cause 4High Voltage Transformer

Microwave ovens produce a very high voltage in order to power the magnetron antenna, which emits the energy that cooks the food. When a high voltage transformer fails, it will usually arc and have a burning smell. (Warning: The microwave oven can store a lethal amount of electricity in its high voltage capacitor, even after the microwave oven has been unplugged. Due to the high running voltage and the potential for electric shock, it is extremely dangerous to replace the electronic components in a microwave. Only a licensed technician should replace the high voltage transformer.)

Parts
High Voltage Transformer for your WhirlpoolMicrowave
Add to Cart
Cause 5High Voltage Transformer

Microwave ovens produce a very high voltage in order to power the magnetron antenna, which emits the energy that cooks the food. When a high voltage transformer fails, it will usually arc and have a burning smell. (Warning: The microwave oven can store a lethal amount of electricity in its high voltage capacitor, even after the microwave oven has been unplugged. Due to the high running voltage and the potential for electric shock, it is extremely dangerous to replace the electronic components in a microwave. Only a licensed technician should replace the high voltage transformer.)

Parts
High Voltage Transformer for your WhirlpoolMicrowave
High Voltage Transformer - Part # 1582663 Mfg Part # 6170W1D052Z

High voltage transformer

Add to Cart
Cause 6Main Control Board

The main control board might be defective. However, this is rarely the case. Control boards are often misdiagnosed—before replacing the control board, check all of the more commonly defective parts. If you have determined that all of the other components are working properly, replace the main control board. (Caution: The microwave oven can store thousands of volts of electricity in its high voltage capacitor, even after the microwave oven has been unplugged. Due to the potential for electric shock, it is extremely dangerous to replace the electronic components in a microwave. Only a licensed technician should replace the main control board.)

Parts
Main Control Board for your WhirlpoolMicrowave
Add to Cart
Cause 7Main Control Board

The main control board might be defective. However, this is rarely the case. Control boards are often misdiagnosed—before replacing the control board, check all of the more commonly defective parts. If you have determined that all of the other components are working properly, replace the main control board. (Caution: The microwave oven can store thousands of volts of electricity in its high voltage capacitor, even after the microwave oven has been unplugged. Due to the potential for electric shock, it is extremely dangerous to replace the electronic components in a microwave. Only a licensed technician should replace the main control board.)

Parts
Main Control Board for your WhirlpoolMicrowave
Add to Cart